Pokémon Go - you can't have missed this craze that is currently taking the world by storm. What initially started as an April fool's joke back in 2014 has now escalated into the global phenomenon that now has more active users than Twitter. The game involves you "catching" Pokémon in the real world with a rather clever use of GPS and augmented reality. You may already be enjoying the game, or you may be curious to give it a try. Either way, here are five useful tips to help you get the most out Pokémon Go.
- Get walking! This game really, really does encourage you to get out there and catch them all. Pokémon will appear at random locations in the real world, and you must be in close proximity to "catch" them. Not only that, the game provides you with "eggs" which, once placed in incubators, require a distance of either 2, 5 or 10 kilometers to hatch. If nothing Pokémon Go is a great way to get fit.
- Try visiting a town or city with a lot of "Poké Stops" clustered together. These stops are responsible for refilling your Poké Balls, and providing you with eggs and potions, so are very important. They refresh on five-minute intervals, so finding a small loop you can walk around and hit multiple along the way is the most efficient way to stock up. You'll need as many of these as you can carry.
- Catch everything! After a while, you may tire of seeing Pidgeys, Zubats and Rattatas, but these Pokémon still provide you with much-needed experience, candy and stardust. Stardust and candy help you get more powerful Pokémon to make battling gyms easier - another source of experience.
- Prepare to battle gyms, and leave your Pokémon in them. Leaving Pokémon in gyms allows you to acquire Poké coins, the in-game currency of Pokémon Go. The only other way to obtain this currency is via real money purchase, so try and take as many gyms as you can before cashing in! You can cash in once every 21 hours.
- Save your lucky eggs. Lucky eggs double your experience points for 30 minutes. The most efficient way to use them is to hoard lots of Pidgeys, Weedles, and Caterpies as these are very cheap to evolve. Evolve them to their second stage and you will get a very big chunk of experience points. Leveling up allows you to catch stronger Pokémon in the wild, making taking gyms easier.
These five steps are a good way to make the most of your experience playing Pokémon Go, but remember the most important thing is to have fun while you play, and stay safe. Always pay full attention to your surroundings, never trespass on private property, and use common sense when approaching unknown neighborhoods.